Ingrid Day Commons Significant Aspect of Our New School

At the Bloomfield Hills High School Class of 2017 Graduation Ceremony on Sunday, June 11, 2017 at DTE Energy Music Theatre — a small distance from the new BHHS building — a new name for the Main Commons, our new high school’s main area utilized extensively every day by students, staff, visitors, and others, was announced.

In honor of retiring Bloomfield Hills Schools Board President Ingrid Day, it was revealed that the commons would be in the future named the Ingrid Day Commons, to forever remember and honor her great years of service and dedication to the Bloomfield Hills School District and greater community.

The Main Commons, a symbol of the innovative, futuristic, and contemporary Bloomfield Hills High School for all to see, at this moment forever received a name change that will forever be seen in the future as a monumental leap and commemoration for this school, school district, and community, summarizing Day’s immense contributions.

Most of all, the Ingrid Day Commons represents, and will always symbolize, Day’s commitment especially to the creation of a new high school for our community, something that will benefit all — from community members to students.

And the naming of the commons truly shows how much Day cared for the students of the Bloomfield Hills School District, striving for their continued success and attempting to help in whatever way possible.

The dedication of the Main Commons to the name of Ingrid Day symbolizes much more than what initially meets the eye. Most of all, it represents the importance of not only Day’s, but overarching, commitment to one’s community, and how far that influence can travel.

From the beginning, Day pushed for the passing of a millage to construct a new high school for Bloomfield Hills students, knowing that it would benefit all of us, and when the first one failed, she refused to forfeit her fight, continuing and eventually winning passage of one that gave birth to our current building.

And this, most of all, represents how monumental the naming of the Main Commons to the Ingrid Day Commons truly is, and truly will be, for all.

We thank her for her far-reaching service to this school, district, and community.