Taiwan Foreign Exchange Students

Taiwan Foreign Exchange Students

On October 19, 12 students of a Taiwanese English class and their teacher, Cathy, arrived at our school to begin a celebration of dancing, singing, and fun, after first visiting New York City and before travelling to nearby Troy High School and Niagara Falls.

Cathy, the teacher of the Taiwanese English class, has been friends with BHHS Chinese Teacher Angela Lee for over six years.

“The first purpose is for students to learn English.  The second reason is because I am familiar with Michigan.  I taught Chinese in Michigan six years ago at Plymouth High School.  I met Mrs. Lee, and when I came back to Taiwan, I started to think about how to let my students learn English and experience the different cultures,” Cathy said. “We went here two years ago and that experience gave our students great memories and we also learned a lot from students here. We all think it was very worth it, so we decided to come again and we appreciate that the school and Mrs. Lee are willing to help accommodate us.”

The Taiwanese students have also been pen pals with our Chinese class.

“We write back and forth to each other.  We write in Chinese, and they write back in English.  This helps us apply our learning [to] how students [on] the other side of the world live.  I want them to not only experience the difference, but also open their vision.”

While the Taiwanese students came here this time, Lee’s students have also travelled to Taiwan as well as China on various occasions.

“We started in 2014, and they were here to visit us 2 years ago.  Last year, we went to Taiwan as a part of a trip to Taiwan and China, and we are going back this coming spring.  We stayed with the host families for three days.  We had students shadow their buddies to be immersed in the whole Chinese language environment,” said Lee.