Future Michigan State students reevaluate enrollment after Larry Nassar

Larry Nassar, a Michigan State University sports physician, was sentenced to up to 175 years in prison after more than 150 females reported that he sexually abused them over two decades. However, how does this recent revelation about the Michigan State University’s doctor reflect in the mindsets of students who are planning to attend the university in the fall as incoming Freshmen?

“Although it projects a negative image on the school I believe they still have a strong past and future,” said Nadia Plemons, a senior planning on attending the university. “I think students like myself should go there and try to be part of the change rather than just ignoring the situation.”

Students throughout the community have constant or altered perspectives on Michigan State University as the school to which they plan to further their education. However, the university sent out an official statement expressing its response and stance on the situation as well as how the school plans to move forward.

“Nassar’s behavior was horrific and repugnant, and it is deeply disturbing to know that his crimes were often committed on campus,” said Kent Cassella, a Michigan State University spokesperson. “MSU is committed to making sure that we are doing what we must to provide a healthy and safe environment for all members of our community. President Engler has called for a culture change at MSU and we will be taking all necessary steps to begin a new day and improve the environment at the university.”

He further stated that the university will take all precautions necessary to provide a healthy environment. As Larry Nassar sexual assault became public, perspectives on the situation began to form for not only the students planning on attending the university but also their parents.

“I recognize the serious, sexual, predatory threat to our daughters when attending college. They can be ‘dates,’ coaches, professors, counselors or even a friend. They are in a new environment, away from council of their family and very vulnerable,” said Denise Swanson, the mother of an incoming student to the university. “If there was a college that guaranteed her safety … she would be there. We have to continue to put our faith in the college’s hands that hold her. Rather than putting blame on the specific location we should try to end old ‘traditions’ that place our children in harm’s way.”

Students and parents alike have had a strong reaction to this news. However students such as senior Lauren Walkon expresses that she won’t allow the actions of one individual affect her overall thoughts on the school.

“I thinks it’s disgraceful that right now in a place so close to home, something like this could happen,” said Lauren Walkon, a senior enrolled for the fall semester. “However, I don’t think any lesser of the school because it is not a reflection of one man’s actions and is still a quality academic space to grow and further my knowledge.”