Hurricane Recovery-How can we Help?

International Committee of the Red Cross

Image of the Red Cross aiding relief to damaged regions

Within the past year, several areas across the nation have witnessed hurricanes at record-breaking intensities, such as Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Michael. Hurricane Florence (which occurred in August) caused as much as 50 billion dollars in damage, whereas Hurricane Michael caused up to 12 billion dollars in damage.

Wreckage from both hurricanes stretched from the lower East Coast all the way to the Florida panhandle, leaving many with nothing and struggling to survive.

I was heartbroken when I heard about the hurricane and hearing people’s voices break down as they walked through what was once their home, all ripped apart and destroyed… it is horrible,” said sophomore Alexis Moss.

There are multiple options for students to help those affected. The American Red Cross, for example, has opportunities for high schools students in Michigan to help those who are struggling in the aftermath of the hurricanes such as allowing students to set up their own donations through the organization.

The Michigan Red Cross is always looking for people with various backgrounds, talents and skill levels,” stated the Michigan Red Cross.

High school students can set up clubs through the Michigan division of the Red Cross to help raise money, receive donations, and collect other emergency supplies to send to those in need.

Bloomfield could host a fundraiser to help with the cleanup of the hurricane damage or have a drive where supplies are collected to help those without a place to sleep, have no food, no clothes,” said Moss. “I think it would inspire others to help by informing them about these horrific events and show them what is happening to hundreds of people.”

To participate in Hurricane Relief, websites like the Michigan Red Cross suggest setting up donation boxes, starting clubs, and spreading awareness throughout schools and local communities.

“…it was another eye-opening event that occurred this year that really makes you reflect on yourself, your community, and what you have that others don’t and that you should be grateful for that,” said Moss.