Teacher Plays Trumpet For Musical

Much like the rest of fourth grade students in this district, middle school band and orchestra was the first time government and history teacher, Frank Laurinec, was given the chance to play an instrument.

“I picked up the trumpet and started to play [in middle school band] and I’ve played ever since,” said Laurinec.

The Broken Leg Theater’s production of A Chorus Line was not only Laurinec’s fifth production with Bloomfield Hills High School, but also a chance for him to use his experience somewhere other than the classroom.

“About five years ago, we were doing the musical Hairspray… Ms. Haisha was the Orchestra Director and she needed a couple of extra horns in the pit, and she found out that I played and asked me if I would play,” said Laurinec.

Many of the band students in the pit have noticed the experience Laurinec has gained over the years with both music and the trumpet.

“He has a lot of experience in playing music, so it’s really nice when he is always counting and keeping us where we need to be. He’s also really positive,” said sophomore Kushal Sanjeev, who played saxophone alongside Laurinec.

Sanjeev explained how Laurinec bonds with the other musicians, offers them advice on how to improve their skill, and, even though he is not a high schooler, jokes around with the kids.

“[The crew was] having some technical difficulties with the microphones and Mr. Laurinec just started joking around with us and it was funny. Even though we were all just sitting there, he made us laugh,” recalled Sanjeev.  

Laurinec keeps work and play separate to ensure that the other musicians can have fun and feel comfortable in the pit.

“I’m not a teacher in the pit. I’m just another player so it’s not as though I have any special power over them or anything.”  Laurinec stressed.

Though Laurinec plans on retiring this year, Mr. Wolf, Mrs. Riley, and Mrs. Greenlee have invited him to return next year to play in the pit once again.  

“I’ve had a chance to reconnect with my instrument, I’ve contacted a couple of community bands in the area and will be meeting with them after the first of the year to see if I might be able to play with them as well.” said Laurinec.

Though this may be the end of Laurinec’s teaching career, he has no intent of giving up his passion for trumpet.