BHHS Today

Kaku Brings Familiar Face to Birmingham

Kaku+susi+and+pok%C3%A9+in+Birmingham+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Kaku Brings Familiar Face to Birmingham

Kaku susi and poké in Birmingham

Kaku susi and poké in Birmingham

Darby Krugel

Kaku susi and poké in Birmingham

Darby Krugel

Darby Krugel

Kaku susi and poké in Birmingham

Kaku Poke and Sushi on Long Lake is one of my favorite restaurants. Whenever I am asked what I would like for dinner, Kaku is the first word out of my mouth. When I heard that a second Kaku location would be opening in downtown Birmingham, I was ecstatic. My favorite restaurant in one of my favorite areas? Yes, please!

Kaku is a restaurant that serves sushi and poke, which is a native Hawaiian dish traditionally made with raw tuna, but Kaku offers different seafood, veggies, and more as mix-ins. It is open from 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Monday through Saturday, and 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Sunday. Prices range from about $5 to $25.

At Kaku, you have the choice to order sushi, where you can choose a pre-selected sampling or mix and match the types you want, or poke, where you can pick between creating a bowl yourself or trying one of their pre-designed options.

When I walked up to Kaku’s storefront, I was immediately impressed. Located in the heart of downtown Birmingham on Old Woodward Avenue, Kaku’s clean, floor-to-ceiling glass windows stood out right away. I walked inside, and was not disappointed. I appreciated the minimalist decor, with a glass panel blocking off a small but eye-catching seating area.

My server took me down the line with a smile, quickly and politely adding whatever I wanted to my bowl. The options were about the same as at the original location, and I followed my usual order: a poke bowl with brown rice, quinoa, shiso, salmon, edamame, seaweed, garlic ponzu sauce, scallion, crispy onion, and sesame seeds.

I was rung up efficiently, and kindly offered a free cup of water. I sat down at a small table with stylish white chairs. I was excited by the cute teapot-like soy sauce containers on my table, and then began to eat.

My eagerness to try this Kaku location was immediately justified. I ate my bowl in minutes, shoveling in every bite I could. Every ingredient I chose was added in just the perfect proportions and came together in the incredible Kaku taste that I know and love. However, my bowl did not taste exactly the same as what I was used to. The salmon was a bit softer than at the Bloomfield Hills location, which ended up contributing to a different taste: not better or worse, just different. In fact, I enjoy the fact that the food at these locations don’t taste exactly the same, because I can vary my delicious Kaku experiences without giving up my typical order.

Overall, this Birmingham location of Kaku lived up to my every expectation, and I give it five out of five stars. I am glad to have another opportunity to taste the poke bowls that I love, no matter where I am in Metro Detroit. Next time you’re in Birmingham, I highly recommend that you give Kaku a try.

About the Contributor
Darby Krugel, Copy Editor

Hi, my name is Darby Krugel and I am a Copy Editor on the Hawkeye newspaper. I am a junior and this is my 2nd year on staff. Outside of the Hawkeye, I...