Pro/Con: Should the day after the Super Bowl be considered a school and work holiday?

February 1, 2023

Pro: A much-needed day off

Just last year at the 2022 Super Bowl, it was reported that over 99 million viewers were streaming the game. It’s a safe assumption to say that a good amount of those viewers came from a demographic of students.

Whether those students are in middle school, high school, or college, they all have one thing in common: school after Super Bowl Sunday. Why wouldn’t schools anticipate the low attendance and low quality of work being done by just calling school that day to benefit everyone?

Not only are students watching the Super Bowl, but teachers and staff are also engaging in the over four-hour event. To add on to that, the Super Bowl isn’t just like any 60 minute football game. There is the event of tailgating that includes family and friends gathering hours before the game even starts. Not to mention the halftime show, an impressive 30 minute spectacle that is a must-see for all watchers. Considering the fact that the entire Sunday is dedicated to the Super Bowl with preparations, gatherings, cheering, and engaging in everything that the big game offers, there is limited time for students to be completing homework and studying. Schools should be taking all of this into consideration when making 7am and early classes mandatory for both students and teachers. The Super Bowl should be an enjoyable event, and the millions of watchers tuning in and participating should be not  punished the next morning with school.