Opportunities for a Hopeful Summer of Normalcy

Exploring what this summer has to offer for everyone in the district

Summer is just around the corner, and many students are looking forward to some sunshine and a break from school. For those looking to volunteer or work this summer for a local camp, however, there are many options here in Bloomfield. 

BHS Recreation is working to ensure that this summer is one that is unforgettable, especially in light of many camps being closed last summer. There are opportunities for people of all ages and interests to take part in a program when school gets out.

Huck Finn and Sports and Adventure are two day camps that have been taking place at West Hills for several years. Students entering kindergarten through seventh grade can participate, and high school students can also volunteer. These summer camps are all day and also have before and after care for families. At the waterfront, kids are able to play in the lake, and both summer camps include activities for a variety of ages. 

Some of the new camps the Bloomfield Recreation Department is offering this year include Kids Create, which are art based camps and Mad Science of Detroit, which are science based camps. Mark White, Associate Director of Athletics for Recreation and Community Service discussed one program specifically, the Mad Science Adventures Camp.

“It’s cool because they are one of the only camps that have teamed up with NASA. If I was a student it would be something I would sign up for,” said White.

For athletes in the district, there are many opportunities, one being for the aspiring athletes, is held by coaches. Kids will play a different sport each day of the week. In addition, White recently reached out to all the varsity coaches in the district to see what programs they are hoping to run. 

White also mentioned that there is likely to be some opportunities for high schoolers to get employed, aside from community service hours. If you like working with kids and you are looking for a job this summer, this could be your calling. 

At Bowers Farm, they are looking for volunteers, that they call “Stewarts” to help with their camps they run for 3-14 year olds. You can apply through the Bowers website if you are interested in playing an essential role to those camps this summer. 

Because of COVID, things may look different this year, but just having camp is something that White was looking forward to. 

“Everyone is very excited to return, as am I. This is my 22nd year working in the district so last summer felt like a big void not having these programs. I am hoping to have a successful summer,” said White. 

So, even in times of uncertainty, day camps this summer will help make the world seem somewhat normal. There are many opportunities that could make your summer the best one yet.