• Follow us on Instagram @bloomfieldhawkeye
  • Follow us on twitter @thehawkeyenews
The Student News Site of Bloomfield Hills High School

BHHS Today

BHHS Today

BHHS Today

The End to Free Meals at Bloomfield Hills Schools

USDA No Longer Funding Public School Districts to Provide Two Free Meals to Students Each Day

Throughout the Covid-19 pandemic, Bloomfield Hills Schools, along with all other public school districts across the country, provided up to two free meals to students every day that were paid for by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture). The USDA started to reimburse public schools to feed students and their families that were struggling with food insecurity during the pandemic. When in-person education resumed, Bloomfield Hills continued to give students two free meals per day. However, at the start of the 2022 school year, the USDA ended this program, causing Bloomfield Hills Schools to reinstitute regular lunch prices. If lunch prices are still a financial barrier, there is still the option to fill out a form to request free or reduced-price lunch.
Food insecurity across the country not only is not only focused on the topic of hunger, but also the issue of being able to access foods that provide healthy calories, vitamins, and nutrients. For that reason, when public schools began to supply free meals, the meals ensured a healthy main dish in addition to protein and a fruit or vegetable. In Bloomfield Hills Schools alone, around 25,000 meals were supplied to students each week during in-person free meals. In total, the district was reimbursed just under two million dollars by the USDA.
“The public school districts of our country played a very important role during a time of crisis in our nation by making sure the children in our country were fed nutritious meals,” said Marianne Romsek, the Bloomfield Hills School District food service director.
Bloomfield Hills Schools now have around ten percent of students receiving free or reduced meals, a very similar number to that prior to the pandemic. This percentage of students receiving free or reduced meals is one of the lowest in the state, but many more students are eligible. If you are struggling financially or are experiencing food insecurity, scan the QR code below. The QR code leads to Bloomfield Hills Schools’ free and reduced lunch application. If you are receiving this program, no fellow students will know; it will be confidential information that only the school will have access to.