• Follow us on Instagram @bloomfieldhawkeye
  • Follow us on twitter @thehawkeyenews
The Student News Site of Bloomfield Hills High School

BHHS Today

BHHS Today

BHHS Today

Getting out of your reading slump

Take these steps to break out of your dull reading slump!
Licensed under the creative commons

If you are anything like me, you know that once you find the right book, you can spend hours on end reading chapter after chapter, and know that sometimes, there are periods where books don’t seem as intriguing. You will find yourself able to put the book down at any given moment. There can be many reasons for this. This is not what we want! In this article, I will give you some tips to help get back to enjoying what you read.

Set some time aside to think about any new interests you may have
I think we are all guilty of reading a lot of one type or genre of book, which can last forever. But for many, it won’t. Sometimes, we will realize that what we’re reading does not keep us on the edge of our seats anymore. This is why when you are in a slump, you should brainstorm some new interests you have had. Even the smallest of interests can turn into something big if it is just explored.

Read some short stories
Another main reason that we fall into reading slumps is because it feels like books begin to drag on, literally. So, to get your juices flowing again, find some short stories or even poems that seem fun. Many times, short stories help us to realize what we want to spend more time reading. There are numerous different writers who specialize in short- story writing. A few of them include: Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King, and Zora Neale Hurston.

Re- read your favorite book
I felt this tip was important to include because it was the way that I got out of my own reading slump this past summer. At the end of the school year, I read a book that I now call my all-time favorite. Everything I attempted to get into following that seemed dull. After months of starting countless books and searching for the perfect one, I still found myself lost. I did the only thing I could think to do. I re-read my favorite book again, and once I connected with its writing on a deeper level, I was able to find what pieces of it I wanted to see more. When I considered this, I found so many books that I ended up enjoying in the end!

If anything was taken from this article, I hope it was that we all fall into slumps sometimes. People who have read all their lives will say that they have too. Just know that if you dig a little deeper, you will find quality books that can even become favorites. Happy reading!

Have a great book recommendation to share? Leave us a comment or email [email protected] for a chance to be featured in an upcoming story.