• Follow us on Instagram @bloomfieldhawkeye
  • Follow us on twitter @thehawkeyenews
The Student News Site of Bloomfield Hills High School

BHHS Today

BHHS Today

BHHS Today

Pine Lake property turned public park

The West Bloomfield Parks Department leases Bloomfield Hills School District land for new park
Grace Main
Pine Lake Park dedication ceremony

After being closed in 2010 and torn down a few years later, the property that once held Pine Lake Elementary School will now be a public park. The Bloomfield Hills School District recently leased to the West Bloomfield Parks Department for the next 20 years, as of October 1.

At the park dedication on October 11, members of the West Bloomfield Township government, Bloomfield Hills School Board, and various community members were able to reminisce about the old school and talk about future plans and additions to the land.

The park plan, which is posted on the park website, includes two “meadows,” pickleball courts, numerous trails, and new playgrounds for public enjoyment. 

Where the former youth soccer field once was will now be a healthy and native meadow. There are many benefits from a natural meadow both ecologically and aesthetically. 

Parks Department Executive Director, Kelly Hyer, expressed her excitement addressing  the use of the meadows by saying, “I’m really hopeful to do spaces like that here because they make for a beautiful backdrop. So not only is it great for our ecosystem, but then if people are looking for a family photo… It’s really just serene and picturesque.”

There are two approaches to developing the land into meadows: one involves planting native species and the other by developing “no mow zones” where the park will refrain from cutting the grass and preserve natural growth. 

Within the meadows and around the rest of the park there is a plan to have walking trails, per the requests of the community.

“It’s great to have trails that go through different habitats so that people can really see the diversity of Michigan and our area as well, so we are looking at some paths that go one circle, and a few that go through the meadows eventually,” said Park Naturalist Supervisor, Lauren Azoury.

Park programs like walking groups may go hand in hand with the trails, as described by West Bloomfield Township Clerk, Debbie Binder. 

“The parks (West Bloomfield Parks) have always had a walking group that two times a week goes for a couple mile walk, so I imagine they’ll do some programming with that, and they’ll have some flexible space to do so with their other programs with camps and things.”

Another addition to the park are possible pickleball courts, in response to the games growing popularity. The exact location of these courts are to be determined, as community members have given their input on keeping the basketball courts, where pickleball courts were originally designated.. There will be some refurbishing of sports fields that are already in use at the park, with some clean up and care directed towards the baseball field and tennis courts which have seen their better days.

Some love will also be put towards the playgrounds and the plan is to rebuild newer and more engaging play structures in their place. The final plans for these playgrounds are not set in stone, however there has been some brainstorming and research put into them already. 

“We can go a little more natural looking and maybe incorporate some timbers and rock boulders, or we could go to the traditional playground and replace kind of what you see here with the colorful structures. We will for sure nail it with a swing base because swings are the top thing that kids and adults want,” said Hyer.

There has also been talk about parts to a playground that can be manipulated, echoing West Bloomfield’s water park, Lily Pad Springs splash pad. 

“It’s new and fresh for kids to discover and explore when they come,” said Azoury.

The plan is to have the new additions and updates at Pine Lake Park done within the next 3-5 years. The Park has received a lot of positive feedback from community members, excited to see what the next 20 years with the park holds. 

Binder shared the enthusiasm she has witnessed.

“I think that any time they (West Bloomfield community) hear the words ‘West Bloomfield Parks’ they get excited because we have so much to offer, our parks are really the jewel of the community.”